Politicians

Air all those little things in life that make you frown
Blue

Re: Politicians

Post by Blue » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:10 am

I would prefer Anyone to Johnson and his puppet master across the pond and I am not sure I would see what’s likely to occur as fun I am afraid.

Maurice-Mynah

Post by Maurice-Mynah » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:46 am

"I would say no mps should be allowed to stand for office for more than two consecutive terms."
Sorry, I don't agree. Politics is an area where prior experience is more valuable than fresh thinking. Also, how much political experience do you feel is necessary for a person to become PM?
"Then finally no mps can stand over the state retirement age."
As above, loosing experience.
"That way we constantly get new ideas and the career politicians have to get a real job."
I understand the sentiments, but you have lumped together two very different points. Is it really safe to run a country on "new ideas". As for politicians having had "real jobs", I think you might find that the majority of them have had such jobs in the past.
Finally, before recommending too many American political rules, Remember who's currently running America.

Hovis

Post by Hovis » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:44 pm

Well perhaps I can add one more, the upper house (Lords) should be elected too. But maybe without the age limit so experience can still be drawn upon.
Getting naughtier by the day

Maurice-Mynah

Post by Maurice-Mynah » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:25 am

No Hovis, Noooo.
The whole point of the upper house is that it IS unelected. Hereditary peers were important as nobody controls the politics of their sons. Tony Benn did a great disservice to the house when he renounced his title. Our elected governments would love to get rid of the upper house as a thorn in their side, and have over the years weakened it to but a shadow of it's former self. Who will be the eventual winners from this? the far right and the far left. There will be no institution there to stop extremist legislation.
Many people will never fully realise the value of the upper house... until we lose it.